The History of Two Rock School and the Two Rock Valley
Two Rock Union School
Two Rock Union School has a history of change and growth. Originally, three separate
schools served the community. Iowa School, the first public school in Sonoma County,
was established in 1852; Walker School in 1876; and Two Rock School in 1885. The
three schools were unified under one school board of trustees in 1919. In 1952, the
present site was chosen for the unification of these schools into one location. Two Rock
Union School was built on five acres deeded to the district by the U.S. Government at a
total cost of $61,588.00. Additional rooms and property have been added periodically.
U.S. Army Two Rock Ranch / U.S. Coast Guard Training Center
The Two Rock Ranch Station was established by the War Department in August 1942,
after acquiring 876 acres of ranch at a price of $94,344.00. During WWll, the U.S. Army
used the site as a communications station. The Army retained the original ranch
structure to camouflage its military status. False furrows were graded around the
operations area to make the ranch look like any other ranch from the air. More
structures were added by the Army during the 1950's and 1960's. On July 1, 1971, the
Army transferred the "ranch' to the U.S. Coast Guard to be used as a training center.
Two Rock Valley
The Two Rock Valley was given its name because of the two prominent grey stones
standing a few feet apart on a gentle slope above the Petaluma-Bloomfield highway.
Two Rock was originally called "Dos Piedras". A band of tribal hunters first carved a trail
between the rocks. The trail was later used by the Russians and Spanish. The rocks
became landmarks on the trail from Mission San Rafael to Bodega and Fort Ross.
Being a natural landmark, they became "cornerstones" for large Mexican land grants.
These pieces were written as part of a permanent school display for an Eagle Scout Project by Patrick Hall, a
Two Rock Union School District student.